Friday, August 3, 2012

Asian Cabbage Mango Slaw

My parents had some friends visiting from Europe last weekend which overlapped with one of my weekend trips home. I volunteered to be on cooking duty for the weekend visitors and with their allergies, I was up for a challenge. Originally I thought there more allergies than it turns out there were so I was tasked with cooking without corn, soy, gluten and dairy. No small feat! After planning an Asian themed night for the Sunday, I was grateful to realize that I was okay to cook with soy because you guessed it, almost anything Asian likely has soy sauce in it!

Asian Cabbage Mango Slaw
Adapted from SkinnyTaste.com

1 bag of pre-shredded cabbage slaw with carrots (should be about 2-3 cups)
1 mango
1/4 cup diced scallions
3 TB rice vinegar
1/2 lime, juiced
1 TB low sodium soy sauce
1 TB sesame oil
sesame seeds

Empty the bad of shredded cabbage into a large serving bowl. Slice the mango into thin slices and add that to the cabbage, along with the scallions. In a small bowl mix together the vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil - don't substitute the sesame oil with another kind, the sesame flavor is an important one! This part could be done in advance but only add the dressing about 1/2 hour before serving. Just before serving stir again to make sure the dressing is coating all of the salad and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top!

Along with this Asian Slaw, I also made grilled vegetables and an apricot ginger marinated pork kebabs! The night before I made lemon basil chicken breasts with a tomato bruschetta on top, grilled veggies and my favorite lemon basil grilled shrimp!! I love summer time grilling!

No comments:

Post a Comment