Monday, April 25, 2011

Twice Baked Potatoes

Twice Baked Potatoes
2 lbs. 3 oz. russet potatoes (3 medium)
6 TB butter
1/2 cup light cream
1 cup greek yogurt
2 TB chopped scallions (plus extra for garnish)
optional: 2 slices turkey bacon
salt and pepper



1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Rinse off the potatoes and bake on a cookie sheet for 1 hour, until tender. Be sure to prick the potatoes with the tines of a fork to let steam escape while baking.
2. Let the potatoes cool once you take them out so that you can peel them. Discard the peels. The original recipe I looked at suggested I push the potatoes through a ricer, which is one cooking implement I don't have, so I just mashed my potatoes. I'm sure the dish wasn't as fluffy as it could've been, but it still tasted great, lumps and all!
3. While mashing, in a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and stir in the cream, warming through.
4. Put your mashed potatoes into a large bowl. Add the warmed butter and cream mixture a little at a time to the mashed potatoes and stir together to incorporate into the potatoes well. Next you can add the yogurt and scallions, again - mixing until well combined.
5. Spread the potatoes into a rectangle baking dish, sprinkle with a dash of salt and freshly ground pepper, and you're ready to bake. I was baking multiple dishes at once, which explains the unique baking directions I used, but you could probably just bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes and be fine. I baked first for 25 minutes at 360 degrees and finished up at 375 degrees for 15 more minutes.
The top should be slightly brown and a bit crispy! Just before serving garnish with a sprinkle of additional scallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment