Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cauliflower and Chickpea Cilantro Curry

At the beginning of this week I attempted to plan out everything I would cook for the dinner this week . I've been a bit lazy about trying out new recipes and cooking anything extensive - especially when I don't get home from class two nights a week until 8pm . But tonight I stuck to my cooking plan! I had seen a couple recipes for Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry over Rice - so I thought I'd try it out.

Cauliflower and Chickpea Cilantro Curry
1 TB butter
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 TB mild curry paste
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tomato, diced
1/4 cup water + 1 tsp chicken bouillon
1/2 head of cauliflower
1/2 can of chickpeas
1 cilantro cube
3 TB white wine
1/4 cup of tomato sauce
dash of ground ginger
dash of cinnamon
handful of chopped spinach
salt and pepper

I realize this is a lot of ingredients but I think it's because I wasn't following a recipe. I have a bad habit of throwing everything but the kitchen sink in a dish when I'm not following something because as I cook I keep thinking of things I think might enhance the flavors/dish. Unfortunately, I didn't track my amounts, but with this recipe - it's a bit of a 'how you like' situation. I don't like my dishes spicy, so I use less curry paste. I tried to at least estimate the amounts I used here!


Melt the butter in a large, high rimmed saucepan - add the onion when it's hot, as well as the curry paste and ginger. Once the onion is translucent - add the tomato and cook down for a few minutes. At this point feel free to add the garlic, cilantro cube, chicken stock and white wine to bring the flavors together.  You'll add the chopped cauliflower and chickpeas next - it's hard to overcook cauliflower so don't worry too much. It'll take at least 20-30 minutes for these to cook up nice and tender - the pan should be on medium low and you should cover it to let it simmer now. You can stir occasionally and after about 10 minutes, add your other spices - the ginger, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Your last step is to add the spinach, cooking it just long enough to let it wilt.

Stir all together, serve on top of rice and sprinkle with freshly chopped scallions! I used brown rice which was good, but I think a basmati or jasmine would also work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment