Monday, April 4, 2011

Coconut Almond Oatmeal

I know that oatmeal is good for me - a healthy, filling breakfast to get me through to lunch, but I can't seem to get into it enough to eat it every morning. I like trying different kinds - adding cinnamon and cut up apple, or frozen blueberries. I'm trying to be better about eating plain oatmeal and not the oatmeal packets, so when I had some leftover coconut milk I needed to use I thought it would be a good addition to my oatmeal!
Coconut Almond Oatmeal all finished!





Coconut Almond Oatmeal
1/3 cup light coconut milk
1/4 cup skim milk
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup old fashioned quaker oats
1/2 TB. ground flaxseed meal
1 TB shredded coconut
1/2 TB chopped almonds
1/4 tsp.  ground cinnamon



There aren't really steps with this recipe. All you have to do is mix all of the ingredients together in a good size microwave safe bowl. It will seem really liquidy, but that's how oatmeal is - it magically cooks up and thickens as you cook it in the microwave. Depending on the strength of your microwave, you'll want to microwave for 2-3 minutes. Start with 2 minutes, stir, and add 1 minute at a time after that until it's as thick as you like it. The worst way to start your day is to open up the microwave and have exploded oatmeal everywhere that you now have to clean (plus you lose half of your oatmeal when that happens!). My microwave is pretty low power, so mine took about 4 minutes.

I like this version because it has a lot of texture - with the chopped almonds and shredded coconut, it makes a big difference. It also makes the oatmeal a bit more substantial and filling of a breakfast with the protein from the almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment