Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Kale, Potato and Onion Frittata

I noticed kale was on sale this week at Shaws and so I ventured to the web to get some ideas for what to make. I feel like I always come across recipes and dishes at restaurants that have kale in it and while I am intrigued, I don't usually bite. This time, I bit! I bought the kale with this recipe in mind - a frittata, which I usually make for breakfast, was on my schedule for Tuesday night dinner. I like the idea of eggs for dinner paired with greens, which is exactly what I did tonight.

Kale, Potato and Onion Frittata
1 small onion, sliced
3 cups kale
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small red potatoes, boiled and diced
3 eggs and 3 egg whites
handful of fresh basil, chopped
1/2 tsp paprika
salt and pepper
2 TB sprinkle parmesan to top

The kale will need to be washed, trimmed, blanched for 3-5 minutes in boiling water and then drained, squeezed well of the excess water and chopped. To trim it, fold it in half and cut along the thick spine in the middle, throwing out the tough middle piece.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cook onion for 5 minutes over medium heat (stir around so that one side doesn't burn), then add kale and garlic. Continue to cook for 5 mins more. Add the potatoes and stir to mix.
Combine whisked eggs with 3 TB water, paprika, and a dash of salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.

Add the sauteed kale mixture to the eggs, stirring to coat the mixture with the eggs. Spray the saute pan you had been using for the onions so that the eggs don't stick and then pour the egg and kale mixture back into that pan.
Heat over medium for just a minute or two until the eggs set a bit. Sprinkle the top with the chopped fresh basil and a sprinkle of parmesan, then put your pan into the oven to bake for 6-7 minutes until your eggs are cooked through!
I liked this combination, but it needed more egg compared to the rest of the ingredients so I adjusted the ingredients above accordingly. It was also a bit bland, so it will help to be pretty generous with the salt and pepper. I served this with simple mixed greens with a lemon vinaigrette! You could also serve this at breakfast or brunch very easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment