Friday, November 25, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Banana Muffins

As I've said before - I hate wasting possible 'ingredients' so whenever I have ripe bananas I can't stand the thought of throwing them away even if I don't have anything specifically to bake for. With 2 ripe bananas sitting in my fruit basket, calling my name, I decide on making muffins - knowing how much I like the peanut butter and banana combo I thought it might be interesting to make banana muffins with peanut butter chips instead of chocolate chips. The oatmeal and wheat flour make me feel like I'm at least getting some fiber into these muffins, but they are by no means healthy given the entire stick of butter the recipe calls for.


Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Banana Muffins
1 cup wheat flour          1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup oats                     1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon              3/4 cup brown sugar
2 medium, ripe bananas (about 1 cup worth)
1/2 cup butter, softened in microwave
1 egg                             2/3 cup milk
3/4 cup peanut butter chips

375 degrees, 22 mins
Makes 18 regular size muffins

Pulse oatmeal in a food processor slightly - until pretty well ground.
Mix dry ingredients in large bowl together (flour, cocoa powder, ground oats, baking powder and soda, salt and cinnamon)
In small bowl melt the butter and then add the bananas, mashing both all together.
In larger bowl, beat the egg for 30 seconds on high speed, add the milk and then add the bowl of mashed butter and banana. Blend together and lastly, add the brown sugar.
Add the bowl of wet ingredients to the large bowl of dry ingredients - mix until well blended. For the last step - add the peanut butter chips!
Fill muffin liners 3/4 of the way and bake at 375 - start out at 15 minutes and if you insert a toothpick and it comes out with wet batter still on it - bake in additional 2 minute intervals so that you don't over bake the muffins! The baking time will depend a bit on your oven and the size of the muffins.

Clearly I don't have a need for 18 muffins - so I gave some away and froze some. They are great to take out the night before and popped into the microwave, they're delicious slightly warm because the peanut butter chips are slightly melted!

No comments:

Post a Comment